Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Last night after a weird bath(long story, too personal), I heaved myself out of the barely lukewarm water and racked myself on the faucet. I don't normally sit on that end of the tub, and wasn't at all ready for the feeling of being stabbed in the small of my back by what felt like a hollow needle the size of a, well, a bathtub faucet. I checked it out in the mirror, as best I could without my glasses, and it hadn't even broken the skin, which wasn't consistent with the way it felt. After five minutes, I looked at it again, and to my horror, it had swelled up and looked like a sugar cookie had been implanted under my skin.

I went to put on my pajama pants and realized that the scrape was dead center in the physiological lane my waist bands usually drive in. (What a horrible metaphor. I have a headache and girl trouble, can you tell? Fuck.)

Chris put a bandage on it, but that lasted all of 10 minutes, as it just pulled on the fine little hairs around it.

Then I got glassy-eyed as my femininity made itself rudely known by kicking me in the groin.

I went to bed mad that uterine cramps had once again surprised me, deer in headlights style. I mean, I should know what to expect, I've been doing this menstruation thing for quite a while now, but it never fails to blow my fucking mind.

As I drifted to sleep I mentally went through my closet to figure out what clothes I could wear that would accommodate my swollen reproductive organs and the sugar cookie-esque bruise on my back. I decided that I should go pantsless. Then I fell asleep to the sound of Chris playing his Game Boy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I stumbled upon this; very odd that I would even make my way across this site while googling some totally unrelated topic. Nice to see you are still an avid writer with the same perplexed introspective humor. I am posting this annon. as I didn't want the hastle of creating yet another internet related user account I would never use. Just thought I would send along this virtual wave.Be well.WadeE.Kline. (Note: If you get a chance please say hi to Colin Meloy for me. Tell him he needs to come back to his roots and play small bars in no where towns every once in a while. The high brow midwestern college scene is getting old: There is more to Iowa than Grinnel. Thanks.)